- Thanksgiving Eve Service will be held on Wednesday, November 23 at 6:00pm. It is a joint service with our sister parish, Mt. Olivet Episcopal Church.
- SAVE THE DATE: A Joint Christmas Party will be held at 4:30pm on Saturday, December 3 at Mt. Olivet's parish hall. Our sister parish, Mt. Olivet, will provide gumbo, seasonal libations, and desserts will be provided by Annunciation. At 6p-ish, we will make our way over to the levee to hear Amanda Shaw and watch the lighting of the bonfire on the levee. Invite friends to join us!
- Next Vestry Meeting will be held on Sunday, December 4 at 12:30pm at the church.
- Tax Credit Help Needed. We still have work to complete, so please see Robin Yeager to sign up to help finish the staining on the rectory. Once the rectory’s exterior decks are stained, the church can fill to receive up to $50,000 in cash for historic tax credits.
- Tuesday Nights - No Class until January.
- Godly Play Classes for children heading into Kindergarten through 6th grade meets in the classroom off the rear hallway, located behind the church.
- Nursery Help Needed. The Nursery is in a classroom off Vail Parish Hall for babies through pre-Kindergarten. We are looking to hire two nursery workers. If you know of someone, please recommend them to Fr. Duane. In the mean time, we welcome volunteers. Thank you to Crickett, Vivienne, and Martha Lapeyre as well as Annette and Miuna Sisco for volunteering over the past month.
- Adult Bible Study is at 10am. The Bible Study meets in the choir area at the back of the church. Using the African Bible Study method, the group will read and reflect on the readings for Sunday. Contact Suzanne Fontan for more details: 504-430-6879.
- Shades of Praise Fundraiser Concert will be held December 8 at the Nims Center located at 4301 St. Charles Ave on Academy of the Sacred Heart’s campus. Shades of Praise is an interracial , interdenominational Gospel choir. See Marcie Courtney for tickets.
HOW DO WE DEEPEN OUR COMMITMENT TO GOD?
Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day. We’re approaching a time of year when we count our blessings, celebrate a great holy-day (holiday) of our Christian faith, and resolve to do better in the New Year. In the church year, the New Year begins on the first Sunday of Advent, which is November 27, 2016 this year, and several short weeks later January 1 as well.
In many churches at this time of year, annual pledge drives are held asking members to recommit and increase their giving to the church. The Vestry and Fr. Duane felt called to expand Annunciation’s first pledge drive in over five years to something more. We are not a church about money but rather we are deeply concerned and committed to seeing one another grow in our faith.
So as we approach this time of year when we recommit ourselves to our families, our faith, our future, we invite you to ask yourself:
How will I recommit myself to God in 2017? What is my pledge to God?
Here at Annunciation, we commit to God in several ways.
The first part is a self-evaluation. What are you currently committing of yourself to God? The second part are your goals. We strongly suggest you pick no more than two areas for improvement. Our faith journey is the journey of our lives. God isn’t looking for spiritual perfection. God simply asks for our best effort to live our lives according to Jesus Christ.
Click here to listen to this year's Pledge Drive sermon. Scroll down to November 13, 2016.
Fr. Duane Wiggin-Nettles